This is a Level 1 event | All are welcome to attend!
Have you ever wondered how to get great images of fishes and people underwater? Have you ever wanted to give it try but don’t know where to start? This one-day dry run is for you!
During this combined classroom and shooting event, Nick Seth-Smith and Rebecca Li, experienced PADI-licensed divers and underwater photographers, will guide you through what you need to consider when taking your camera and yourself underwater. The class will be conducted at The Aquarium of the Pacific at Long Beach; participants will be able to practice some of the techniques on location without getting wet!
Topics to cover
- Dive Safety
- Getting a Diving License
- Cameras, Housing and Accessories
- Camera Basics
- Differences between shooting in air and shooting in water
- Light and color
- Focus and distance
- Macro Underwater Photography
- Wide-Angle Underwater Photography
- Business Opportunities
- While IEPPV does not charge for the workshop, you are required to pay admissions to the Aquarium. You can purchase your ticket online or at the windows in front of the Aquarium. A variety of discounts are available through social media or affiliations, e.g. AAA. Aquarium members get free admission to the Aquarium. The Aquarium is open 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. on the day of the event.
- The Aquarium does not permit the use of tripods.
What to bring
- Camera(s): DSLR, point-and-shoot
- Lenses: 24-70mm recommended, longer lenses are good for some exhibits, macro (optional)
- Rubber Lens Hoods (optional) for getting up close to the glass
- Polarizer (optional)
- Laptop with editing software (optional)
- USB Flash Drive (optional)
All are welcome to attend, however, registration is limited and required.
What does a Level 1 event mean?
Each of our events lists a recommended level of experience (1-3). By categorizing our events using this method, we hope to better inform you of what you need to know and how to best prepare so that you can get the most out of your attendance.
A level 1 event means that the instruction provided will be focused on beginners and intermediates, so no previous knowledge or experience of the topic is expected.
Please Note: Anyone is welcome to attend any class level, however, the pace and content may not be at your current skill level. If this is the case, please expect to attend with the expectation to observe rather than engage. As with all of our educational events, we will always make every effort to accommodate all attendees regardless of their experience level.